Discharge from the hospital can be a stressful and confusing time. Below are a few tips on what to ask when being discharged from the hospital. The tips can help make the transition from the hospital a little easier.
- Do I have any dietary restrictions?
- Will I need any medical equipment? If so, where can that equipment be purchased (or rented), and will my insurance pay for it?
- Should I receive any care at home? If so, can you refer me to a home health agency?
- What symptoms should I watch out for? At what point should I call my doctor?
- What resources are available in my community to help me with my recovery?
- When are my follow up appointments?
- Make sure you have up-to-date healthcare directives in place. These directives clearly state who should make decisions for you if you are unable to, and what your desires are with regard to life-sustaining care.
- Make sure a friend or family member is with you during the discharge meeting.
- Make sure you understand what your insurance will cover, and what you will be responsible for. Don’t be afraid to ask questions about anything that is unclear (both at admission and discharge).
If we can help, please don’t hesitate to call us at 407-478-8700 or contact us now for more information.